Sunday, June 23, 2013

Baby Shoes

     Today's card is one I ended up really liking but wasn't sure about it when I first started designing it.  I used an adorable new release digi set from Doodle Pantry (see photo below) and believe me when I say that the image wasn't the problem!   In fact, this set came to the rescue and saved the day!  :-D  OK, let me give you the background first --

     I have a new neighbor who moved in next door last weekend (more about her on another post I'll get up this week).  I intended to get a plate of cookies made to take over but my extra busy work week last week just got in the way.  Anyway, she came over, introduced herself, and asked if I might have a light bulb to spare since she couldn't find the box containing hers and she had none for her bedroom lamps.  I had been working at the dining room table and she saw a couple of cards I was making.  I immediately got an order for a new baby card.  :-D

     However, her friend's daughter (the one expecting the baby) is having a boy and hates blue!   She refuses to do the whole 'blue for a boy' thing and is doing the nursery completely in neutrals, which works fine for a boy, but just isn't what we normally do for baby cards.  So, Doodle Pantry to the rescue!


I found the sketch at Tuesday Morning Sketches.


     Laurie included wonderful digital papers with the "Baby Shoes" set, including the two I used which are in wonderful neutral tones.  I die cut the image with a die I bought more than a year ago and haven't used recently and also die cut the sentiment (part of the Baby Shoes set) and matted them both with brown CS which has been in my stash for a good, long time.  I also matted the dp with it.

     I added a strip of sheer brown ribbon and adhered the three little pearls to it.  I thought that was still a very CAS design, lots of open space (though not white space,) and with an overall masculine feel to it.  I wasn't sure I was going to like a baby boy card without blue on it, but I am very pleased with it after all.

     Challenges:
A Gem of a Challenge -- Male birthday (the actual birth!)
Art Impressions Stamps -- Masculine
City Crafter -- Clean and neutral
Craft Lovin' -- Anything goes
Crafting for all Seasons -- Masculine
Digistamps 4 Joy -- Masculine
Little Claire's -- Male theme
Pollycraft -- Anything goes
Shopping Our Stash -- Geometric shapes
Sisterhood of Crafters -- Masculine
Top Tip Tuesday -- Masculine

     Half the weekend is now gone and I've done nothing but spoil myself !  I've done no laundry, no house chores beyond fixing something to eat when I got hungry, and haven't even run a dishwasher.  Guess what, the world hasn't ended and I've not been struck by lightening.  How refreshing.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie


Baby Shoes

34 comments:

Doreen said...

This is beautiful,love the image,fab layout.xxx

Lozzy said...

Beautiful card, love the colours and your design and a lovely pair of baby shoes..Hugs Lozzy x

Donna Hanley said...

The shades of brown you used are very soft and sweet and great for a baby card. This image is just darling the papers are delightful. This was a great pick from Doodle Pantry.

Crafting Vicky said...

Loooove it!!!! awesome use of the neutrals. It gives a vintage feel to the card.

jimlynn said...

Connie, they came to the rescue big time!!! This is a sensational card and know your neighbor and her daughters friend will love it too! SO PRETTY!!!! I love that you didn't go with the blue since those natural papers and image are so sweet and pretty. Great design and a fantastic card.
Lynn

Jackie C said...


Wow, great work, well done and good luck!
Hugs, Jackie
Digistamps4Joy.DT
Member

Linda Simpson said...

Love this Connie, so different but very striking too! Love the booties and the cute sentiment.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Margaret said...

Great card, Connie. Love the vintage look of it. Thanks for playing with us at DS4J.
Margaret, DT

lauren bergold said...

what a sweet and adorable card, and a lovely version of the sketch too! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (geometric!) STASH with us this week! ♥

Cheryl First said...

Very nice! I think forn ot using any blue, it's definitely a boy card, and I'm sure the recipient will love it!

Nonni said...

Fantastic card! I love the vintage feel of the colors. So beautiful!

Jessi Fogan said...

Now THAT sounds like a wonderful weekend! I love it :)
What a wonderful way to meet the new neighbour - and I absolutely love this set from Doodle Pantry! How perfect here. Love the detail of the circle pieces!
Thanks so much for playing with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches - and at Shopping our Stash. I love it when I get to thank someone for two different teams :)

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Great story you share and yes...fabulous masculine baby boy card. What!!! You did nothing this weekend and the world survived....you had no men living in your house this weekend....haha

Grandma Bonnie said...

Aww, Nana Connie, this is such a sweet card..i love it! There is a little surprise coming at TMS in a couple of weeks...We are having a birthday...that's all i can say for now..but i hope to see you there!

Unknown said...

Well, you're certainly right, not a traditional baby boy card, but omg did it ever come out great. This is perfect for those who don't like traditional. I love the die cuts you used for the image and sentiment too...really makes them POP!

Darlene said...

Congrats on the new neighbor who already Loves your card creations! This came together beautifully ... LOVE that baby shoe! Awesome design! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘One For The Boy’s’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Jennifer said...

Lovely card and lovely layout Connie and I am impressed with the image,the colour quickly grew on me. Hugs, Jen :-) x
Krafty Keepsakes

Jackie Scott said...

Such a sweet card Connie babies always bring out the best in us don't they! Love the layout and the two toned boots - precious.

Maria said...

Darling sweet card...love it!!!

Bernardine Cuttino said...

NC, this is a beautiful baby card and I am sure she will treasure for ever. Beautifully design and colored, a sweet card.
Hugs

KarinsArtScrap said...

What a beautiful card Nana so sweet love the papers.
Thanks for join us at DigiStamp4Joy.

Greetings karin DT member

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- beautiful!!! I love the monochromatic color- and this image could be made into gender specific cards- how nice!

kReN said...

What a wonderful card, NC! I love the non-traditional colors and the layout is perfect. Enjoyed stopping by!

Come and see what I've done lately!
kren@
http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

kReN said...

What a wonderful card, NC! I love the non-traditional colors and the layout is perfect. Enjoyed stopping by!

Come and see what I've done lately!
kren@
http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

Sassy Raggedy said...

How lovely this is. I really like the designer papers and this image reminds me of one I cross-stitched for both of my boys when they were born. Just a lovely card...Hugz, joann

Annette said...

Oh so sweet. Love the sentiment for the image.
Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday
Annette
Netty's Cards
Proud to design for :
ABC Christmas Challenge,
As You Like It Challenge,
Top Tip Tuesday,
The Stamp Basket, and
Stamp Fairy.

Anonymous said...

Awwww so so sweet!!!! Thanks for sharing this week at CCCB :-)

Glenda Atkins said...

Great card, Connie! I love how you used the neutrals and made them work so well for a baby card. Really like it!! Fabulous take on the sketch!
hugs
Glenda

Glittered Paws said...

What a beautiful "boy" card - I have the same dies - and haven't used them in a while either. I know your new neighbor will want more cards so this can be a good thing!!!

Ros Crawford said...

This is adorable and I bet your new friend was delighted with it ... Thanks so much for playing at CCCB!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Beautiful and sweet card! I love the gorgeous paper you used. Thank you for joining us at cccb. Hugs, Wendy

Shea said...

How charming and sweet! I was scratching my head at first wondering where the "birthday" aspect came in, but it dawned on me right about the time I read through that it was for a truly male BIRTH DAY. LOL! How clever you are! Love the card, you did a great job on it! (And good for you for giving the household chores a break. Those dust bunnies and laundry will be there tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the next...) Thanks so much for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge this week!

Milliesmarvels said...

This is very sweet! Love the sentiment. Thanks for joining us for the Pollycraft Challenge!
Jane
x

♥Gemma♥ said...

Beautiful card and thank you for joining us at Little Claire's this month and good luck :)
hugs and xxx
Gemma